Saturday, February 25, 2012

Food Movies!

I have sent to Mary, Gloria and Eileen these two films about the food we eat, how and why to improve the sources of food we use.  I hope your three families will view them soon, and pass them along to Kathleen, John and Daniel, and they will share them with Mom and Ann.  Here are trailers for the films:
"FRESH"
"FORKS OVER KNIVES"
So NOW WHAT?  Am I suggesting that we all abandon eating meat, and make everyone eat only organic produce?  No!  I'm still eating meat and fish, but in far lower quantities, and trying more vegetarian recipes.  My good friend Sam Gordon, after having heart bypass surgery in his 40's, has long been practicing this diet of meat moderation and healthy plants, and he has shared a few recipes with me.  I have added a few more, and put them all into a spreadsheet (each recipe on a different tab along the bottom), which you can download by clicking this link:
MT-RecipeCalc
Our favorites are the Hummus (both garbanzo and fava bean, which we call bean pate'), the Baba Ganoush and the Schoog, all middle eastern dishes that are very nutritious.
One final video, Food Network Chef Alton Brown (my favorite food geek) on the many ways to cook with Garbanzo Beans, and the history of this nutritious legume.
Enjoy!
Love, Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment